Training at Ternopil State medical Institute was inaugurated on September 1, 1957, by the resolution of the Ukrainian government of April 12, 1957. In the city that had been almost destroyed during World War II and just began raising from the ruins, it was the first higher educational establishment. Three days after the government resolution, the appointed Director (Rector) of the Medical Institute, Candidate of Medical Sciences, surgeon P.O. Ogiy (later on M.D., Professor) and prof. Martynyuk A.H., the vice-rector, arrived in Ternopil. By the decision of the Regional Council, two educational buildings and two hostels were allotted to the Institute.
The clinical base was provided by the City Hospital that had been functioning then as the Regional Hospital. The morphological building, Regional Hospital, and a new hostel were under construction. 19 departments began functioning at the Institute, 66 teachers were working there (including 1 M.D., and 17 Candidates of Med. Sc.).